Sunday, August 23, 2009

blogging = happiness

I’m a website designer. Recently I received a call from a woman, well two women, friends, grandmothers as it turns out, who want to start a blog. They, of course, were inspired by the movie "Julie & Julia", googled, found me and we met (they were delightful, I didn't want to leave). Their idea - blogging about stuff to do with children on rainy and not rainy days. Projects, recipes, stories and so on.

So I came home and started reading everything I could about blogs, including blogs, and blogs about blogs and twittering about blogs and I couldn’t stop. I even read about why I couldn’t stop (my dopamine receptors wouldn’t let me), that too was in a blog somewhere, or at least a tweet, or maybe it was an RSS feed.

It all came to a glorious halt just a few minutes ago (and we’re talking about an orgy of sorts here, days of seeking and searching and scanning and bookmarking and signing up for everyone’s feed, everyone’s.) And then I came across this: 100 Ways to Live a Better Life.

Here’s the description:
You don’t like your life? Change it! Change your life for the better! Don’t have any clue on how to do it? Here’s a list of 100 ways ...

This blog, my blog (let’s say it’s for research purposes) is going to be about my attempt to try each of these 100 ways to live a better life. Yes, this is derivative. But I find it appealing, at least in my current dopamine infused euphoria.

I get to:
  1. "self-improve”, while
  2. blogging, and
  3. all the while not being hard on myself for being unoriginal (way # 21: Be better, not perfect)

My plan:

Everyday for 100 days, wait, let’s make that many if not most days until I finish (Way # 10 is Travel far away from home – that will keep me away from my computer for at least a week, but more about that later) I will blog, working my way through this awe inspiring list, way by way.

A demain matin (harbinger of way #14: Learn a new language). See you in the matin.
Judith

3 comments:

  1. What happened to the Daily Blog? I keep checking -- I need some guidance here. Is there a 'way' to stay in the present and stop worrying about the future which never comes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear anonymous,
    That is such a good question. I'm caught up in worry myself and I empathize. I think one answer lies in mindfullness/meditation/ relaxation/yoga, or so I've heard.

    I apologize for dropping the ball on the big fig. 'Way' # 1 is accept your mistakes, and guess what, I decided that the whole concept for this blog was a mistake! Accepting it makes it go away. Irony, paradox, or just plain convenient?

    Let me know your thoughts on everything!

    Judith

    ReplyDelete